Brothers William and John Graham established their business in Porto, Portugal as a means to import textiles in 1820. That same year, the siblings accepted twenty-seven barrels of Port as a payment for a client’s debt, and after that, the Graham’s Port house was born when they decided to produce their own Port wines from the Douro Valley. Originally hailing from Scotland, the Graham family had done extensive business overseas, and William and John helped the foundation of what came to be a worldwide renowned vintage port house. They are known for their exceptional Vintage Ports, as well as their Aged Tawny Ports, Late Bottled Vintage, Reserve, and Quinta dos Malvedos Vintage Ports.
In 1970, the Symington Family acquired the Port House nearly a hundred years after their ancestor, AJ Symington; left his career at Graham’s to begin his own Port production. Today, Graham’s is the only remaining British Port company independently owned by a single family and because of it, makes controlling and caring for it an intimate matter.